Sunday, 4 November 2012

Only the deepest red II

A few weeks ago I saw Caatje's post about practising a particular technique. She set herself a project to draw/paint women in her art journal, and asked if anyone else was doing something along the same lines. I told her about the sketches of famous faces in my moleskine, and asked her to choose the next person for me to draw. So she said Kate Winslet. Oh no, I thought - Kate Winslet is so beautiful, and has such an 'open' face, if you catch my drift, and I was rather daunted. I looked online for images of the actress, and completely fell in love with the one I've copied below. I hope you like it Caatje:-)




It immediately made me think of this Vettriano print that my fiance bought for me one christmas.




It's called (you've guessed it) Only the deepest red II. There is a lot of blue in the print itself, but not this much. That was due to the bad light when I took the photo of it.

Everything about the pose in the two pictures, I find fascinating. I mean, it's something I do every day - put makeup on, not actually lipstick - but I don't use a compact mirror. Instead I use a huge mirror on the wall. So maybe it's the suggestion of being on the move that I find interesting. And what are they thinking when they apply makeup? Are they confident and self-assured, or worrying about the day ahead. Jack's woman looks super confident with her sling backs and short dress with the three-quarter sleeves. Plus the odd location (well, not odd for Vettriano) -  she can re-do her Chanel lipstick (maybe YSL?) anywhere, no matter who is watching.
But back to Kate. Is this a still from a film? I'm not sure, but she looks so much more relaxed. A lot more vulnerable somehow, which is what drew me to the picture in the first place. Yes, she's a stunningly beautiful woman, but she's also human.

Any ideas for my next famous face?

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh, she's absolutely gorgeous! You did an amazing job! Thanks so much for drawing her, I'm flattered you drew her because I asked you. She certainly turned out great. I'll mention it in my new blogpost so people can check her out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Emily... your drawing is STUNNING... i adore everything about her... you have captured Kate perfectly...

    Jenny ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily, You have recreated Kate's beauty and likeness so well. And with simple lines! A hard thing to achieve, Well Done!

    ReplyDelete